spicy spanish sausage stew…
I like nothing better than a one pot dish, into which I can just chuck everything and leave it to get on with cooking itself. Recipes like this one, also have the advantage of being easy on the washing up, as the stew is just turned out into big bowls. Perfect!
What You’ll Need :
- Three or four large potatoes, cubed
- Two quartered onions – for added sweetness, red are best
- Sausages – for this particular stew, we used chorizo sausages, chopped into chunks. In the past I’ve used veggie sausages and these work as well, as the spices and seasonings do give the stew a kick
- Mixed peppers – red, green & yellow for colour – cut up into large chunks
- One can of butter beans
- White wine
- Vegetable stock (a mug full is enough)
- Olive oil
- Spicy paprika
- Chilli flakes
- Salt & pepper
What You’ll Need To Do :
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes and put into an ovenproof dish with two onions, roughly quartered.
- Cover with olive oil, chilli flakes, paprika and salt & pepper and mix together. Cook for about 30 mins, until the onions begin to char
- Add the peppers and push the sausage chunks down into the mix. Add the veggie stock and enough white wine to cover everything
- Cook for about an hour and then add the butter beans – these help to thicken the white wine juice – cooking for a further 10-15 minutes. by which time the top of the dish should be beginning to blacken & char
Served up on its own, it’s a pretty substantial meal, but crusty bread, rice and pasta are great accompaniments too. Get your bowl, a glass of wine and curl up in front of the TV – or, when the weather improves, get outside and do it al-fresco.